A great line-up of local and international speakers – communicators, investigators, medicators, and prestidigitators – has been assembled for the 33rd Australian Skeptics National Convention.
This promises to be an inspiring event, covering science, medicine, skepticism, activism, with a healthy dose of critical thinking, a dash of humour and a great deal of common sense.
International speakers include:
• Cara Santa Maria, science communicator, journalist, and co-host of the Skeptics Guide to the Universe;
• Alan ‘Captain Disillusion’ Melikdjanian, filmmaker and critic of fantastical viral videos;
• Britt Hermes, former naturopath and now exposer of naturopathic medicine mispractice;
• Live podcasts by the presenters of Cognitive Dissonance and Scathing Atheist.
The local speakers include:
• Lawrence Leung, comedian and TV presenter, MC for the convention;
• Dr Karl Kruszelnicki, Australia’s highest profile science communicator; winner of the Skeptic of the Year in 2006;
• Dr Alan Duffy, astronomer;
• Craig Reucassel, ABC Chaser and War on Waste presenter;
• Dr Vyom Sharma, GP and magician;
• Adam Spencer, mathematician and leading science communicator;
• Sonya Pemberton, science documentary maker; awarded the Skeptics’ Thornett Award in 2013;
• Dr Brad McKay, GP and TV presenter;
• Kathy Marks, Walkley Award-winning journalist;
• Ketan Joshi, clean technology communications consultant;
• Ruth Ellison, design researcher, photographer, science-themed jeweller, and cult survivor.
The convention will be held at the City Recital Hall, Sydney, on November 18-19.
Still more presenters, along with details of the Saturday night dinner on November 18 and any other ancillary events, will be announced soon.