Australian Skeptics Inc (ASI) events are organised so that everyone can have a good time. We welcome people from all backgrounds (such as sex, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, age, or abilities). We want everyone to feel comfortable in that environment, and ask that everyone who attends our events respects this diversity.
Accordingly, we require all attendees, presenters, organisers and volunteers at ASI events to note and comply with the following code of conduct:
- Be polite and respectful. We encourage spirited discussions about all kinds of potentially controversial topics, but always be courteous.
- No touching without the consent of the other person. If unsure, don’t.
- No hate speech, vilification or promotion of violence.
- No intimidating or threatening behaviour of any kind – physical or verbal.
- During presentations, don’t be disruptive.
Two additional things regarding speakers and presentations:
- Please do not interrupt talks, presentations and panels unless a presenter specifically allows it. When permitted, avoid comments and keep your questions short.
- Most presenters will be available for a chat after their talk, but don’t monopolise them and consider others.
ASI reserves the right to exclude entry to or remove any person who breaches this code from the event in question without a refund, and to exclude that person from attending future ASI events. We will report illegal conduct to the police.
Have a problem and need help?
Please come and talk to one of our event organisers or committee members. We assure you that your concerns will be taken seriously and treated with respect. Coming forward does not mean you have to make a formal complaint and anything you raise will be kept confidential if you wish.